Mackerel sandwich with fennel slaw
- 2 long slices rye bread
- 4 tbsp soft cheese
- 1 fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp small caper
- 1 lemon, ½ juiced, ½ wedges
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- small bunch chives, snipped
1. Toast the bread until crisp, then spread over the soft cheese. Divide the smoked mackerel between the toasts.
2. In a small bowl, mix the fennel, onion, capers, lemon juice, oil, chives and some seasoning. Spoon over the fish toasts, with lemon wedges for squeezing over.